Helvellyn Safety Information
- Check the weather forecast, it can turn quickly!
- If the weather turns bad, don’t be afraid to change your plans, and if in doubt turn back.
- Ask other walkers coming down what the weather and conditions are like up top
- Be prepared - check your gear - take waterproofs, spare warm clothing, hat, gloves. food and drink (water - at least 1.5-2 litres for a full day out), a map, a compass, a whistle and a survival bag.
- Make sure you know how to use your gear - especially the map and compass!
- Don't rely on mobile phones - the signal can be random up top to say the least
- Remember your countryside code - no littering and leave gates as you found them!
- If in doubt, why not seek the advice of an expert - try one of the excellent Helvellyn Walking Guides
In an emergency on the fells dial 999 and ask for Mountain Rescue